Fetal Care Center
Our Fetal Care Center is a leader in providing medical care for pregnant women whose unborn babies have health problems, known as fetal conditions.
If your unborn baby is at risk or diagnosed with a complex condition, our specialists at the Fetal Care Center will work with you to provide advanced treatments and prepare for your baby’s arrival. Combining the expertise of three nationally ranked institutions – Washington University Physicians, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, and St. Louis Children’s Hospital – the Fetal Care Center offers the most comprehensive and advanced fetal care available in the Midwest and surrounding region.
At the Fetal Care Center, we’ve built an environment that puts you, your baby and your family at the center of everything we do. We coordinate prenatal fetal care with high-level diagnostic testing, including ultrasounds, amniocentesis and CVS, non-invasive prenatal screening, fetal MRI, echocardiography, and skeletal surveys. Newborns who need special care get immediate attention, right there in the delivery room, from specialists at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, and they are treated in the nationally renowned Level IV NICU, the highest level of newborn intensive care.
Coordinated care in one convenient place
As with all of our care, your family’s personalized nurse will schedule your tests, prepare you for your visit and answers any questions you have.
Fetal Care Center location
In addition to a true team approach, when you come to the Fetal Care Center, you benefit from:
- One single location offering comprehensive, integrated care for mom and baby: We are the only medical center in St. Louis to offer the highest level of specialized care for both moms and their babies. Our birthing suites and mother-baby rooms are directly connected to our Level IV Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), so a mom is close to her baby if special care is needed after delivery. No other medical center in St. Louis offers that convenience and assurance.
- Specialized surgeries: We are one of the few medical centers in the country that provides complex fetal surgeries and interventions for rare fetal conditions. Our highly skilled doctors perform these procedures while your baby is still in the womb. Learn more about fetal surgery.
- Knowledge is power: We understand what you are going through and how stressful life becomes after diagnosis. Our #1 focus is family and that’s why our nurse coordinators walk you through every step of the diagnostic and treatment process. We make sure you are informed about, and involved in, every decision pertaining to your unborn baby’s well-being.
- Expertise in follow-up care: Some babies have health needs that we cannot treat until after they are born. If this is the case, we develop a care plan for your baby during pregnancy, ensuring he or she receives the best care immediately after delivery. You meet regularly with pediatric specialists at St. Louis Children’s Hospital during pregnancy so you can feel confident about your baby’s care.
- Advanced diagnostic tools: Each year, our specialists perform thousands of high-risk pregnancy tests using the latest diagnostic tools to quickly and accurately diagnose fetal conditions. Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists are present during your ultrasounds. This allows us to provide fast, accurate information about your unborn baby’s condition and treatment options.
- Heart care: If your unborn baby has a heart defect, our pediatric cardiologists at the Fetal Heart Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital provide exceptional care. Our heart specialists excel at diagnosing and treating heart problems.
- Medical transportation: If you go into labor outside the St. Louis metropolitan area and need specialized care, our maternal-fetal transport team has the ability to bring you to the Women & Infants Center. Should you deliver elsewhere, our newborn transport team can safely bring your baby here.
- Newborn care: Infants with health problems receive the highest level of medical care in our Level IV Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Learn more about our NICU.
- Counselors: Our specialists help you cope with the stress of a complicated pregnancy or a baby with health problems. Learn more about our Perinatal Behavioral Health Service and Palliative Care programs.