Your pregnancy may be considered high-risk if a medical condition threatens your health or the health of your unborn baby. This can be a very distressing time, which is why where you go for prenatal care is so important.
Our specialists are dedicated to caring for women with high-risk pregnancies. Our team of maternal-fetal doctors, newborn medicine doctors and genetic counselors has specialized training in diagnosing and treating pregnancy complications and fetal conditions. Each year, we provide care for more than 1,000 women with high-risk pregnancies and their babies.
When you choose Washington University Physicians for high-risk pregnancy care, you benefit from:
- Dedicated teamwork: Washington University Physicians are true partners with Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Working together, this team of renowned experts develops a care plan tailored to your family’s unique needs. Learn more about the Women & Infants Center.
- Advanced technology: Each year our diagnostic experts perform more than 5,000 ultrasounds and hundreds of genetic amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS) procedures. Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists are present during your ultrasounds to provide fast, accurate information about your unborn baby’s condition and treatment options. Learn more about high-risk pregnancy tests.
- Comprehensive treatments for unborn babies: Our Fetal Care Center is one of the most comprehensive centers in the Midwest. We diagnose and treat a wide range of fetal conditions and perform complex fetal surgeries.
- Complete care in one location: We are the only medical center in the St. Louis metropolitan region with a nationally-ranked Level IV Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) connected to labor and delivery. We provide care for you and your baby on the same medical campus, keeping you close to your baby.
- A focus on your family: We understand you may feel overwhelmed. Our team partners with your family, walking you through every step, from diagnosis and treatment to delivery and newborn care. When possible, an outreach coordinator streamlines appointments with specialists, scheduling all medical visits on the same day.
- Support services: A high-risk pregnancy brings unique stressors. Our counselors are here to help you cope with the stress of a complicated pregnancy or caring for a baby with health problems. Learn more about our Perinatal Behavioral Health Service program.
- Convenience: We’re easily accessible from most locations nationwide. If you are coming from outside the St. Louis metropolitan area, our concierge services department assists with travel plans and lodging.