Division of Minimally Invasive Gynecology
Division director: Scott Biest, MD
Our division’s two minimally invasive surgery specialists contribute to all aspects of academic medicine: patient care, research and education.
Our clinical mission
Because we’re focused on gynecologic surgery, our surgical volume is high. We operate two to three days per week at both the academic hospital and our community academic-associated hospital. In addition to treating our patients, our surgical responsibilities include helping general ob/gyns with their laproscopic surgeries.
We treat a wide range of benign gynecologic conditions including fibroids, endometriosis, adenomysois, adnexal masses, prolapse, pelvic pain, and many more. Almost every patient is a candidate for a minimally invasive approach.
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic myomectomy
- Laparoscopic ovaries cystectomy
- Laparoscopic excision of endometriosis, joint cases with urology and colorectal surgery for Stage IV endometriosis
- Laparoscopic removal of Essure coils
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy and polypectomy
- Laparoscopic sacral-colpopexy
- Hand-assist laparoscopy for very large fibroids, no upper limit on size
- Contained morcellation within a large bag to limit spread of uterine tissue
We believe in educating patients about their disease process and discussing their full range of options, so women can choose a treatment course that is right for them.
Our research mission
Our surgical outcomes are collected in a prospective database which has resulted in publications, speaking at national conventions and other universities. Our research aims to improve minimally invasive gynecologic surgery outcomes, make less invasive treatments safer and available to all women, improve techniques for safer tissue extraction, and use surgical simulation to better train the next generation of surgeons.
Our education mission
In addition to a state-of-the-art surgical simulation center – used to train residents and medical students – our division runs the surgical skills curriculum for the ob/gyn residency.