Gynecologic Oncology Research
Washington University’s renowned Gynecologic Oncology team is committed to providing patients first-rate clinical care supported by cutting-edge research.
Our basic science research focuses on understanding the molecular, epigenetic and, metabolic mechanisms that underlie tumorigenesis and metastasis of gynecological cancers, leading to discoveries that propel potential clinical breakthroughs in prevention and treatment. Our patients have access to new and promising clinical trials overseen by an expert and caring multidisciplinary team and we aim toward personalized precision medicine for the cancer treatment.
Explore our research
Siteman Cancer Center trials
Basic science studies:
Gynecologic Oncology Tissue Bank (GOTB)
- Landmark paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) that identified MSH6 as an important gene in the hereditary aspect of endometrial cancer:
Goodfellow PJ, Buttin BM, Herzog TJ, Rader JS, Gibb RK, Swisher E, Look K, Walls KC, Fan M-Y & Mutch DG (Senior Author): Prevalence of defective DNA mismatch repair and MSH6 mutation in an unselected series of endometrial cancers. PNAS 100 (10): 5908-5913, 2003.
- Lead article in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) changed the treatment of cervical cancer to utilizing adjuvant chemotherapy:
Morris M, Eifel PJ, Lu J, Levenback C, Grigsby PW, Stevens, RE, Rotman M, Gershenson DM & Mutch DG (Senior Author). Pelvic Radiation with concurrent Chemotherapy versus Pelvic Para-aortic Radiation for high-risk Cervical Cancer: A Randomized Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Trial. NEJM 1999;340:1137-1143.
- Top accrual to the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) for over 18 years for Clinical Trials (entry of GO Division in 1987).
Investigators in gynecologic oncology include faculty members in the Department of Ob/Gyn’s Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Division of Clinical Research and Center for Reproductive Health Sciences.
- Katherine C. Fuh, MD, PhD
- Andrea R. Hagemann, MD
- Ramakrishna Kommagani, PhD
- Lindsay Kuroki, MD
- L. Stewart Massad, MD
- Carolyn McCourt, MD
- David G. Mutch, MD
- Matthew A. Powell, MD
- Premal H. Thaker, MD, MS